This collection of “commandments” were given by Gurdjieff to his daughter Reyna D’Assia. We print them here in consecutive posts in groups of roughly 20.
– Never contradict; instead, be silent.
– Do not contract debts; acquire and pay immediately.
– If you offend someone, ask his or her pardon; if you have offended a person
publicly, apologize publicly.
– When you realize you have said something that is mistaken, do not persist in
error through pride; instead, immediately retract it.
– Never defend your old ideas simply because you are the one who expressed
– Do not keep useless objects.
– Do not adorn yourself with exotic ideas.
– Justify yourself to no one, and keep your own counsel.
– Never define yourself by what you possess.
– Never speak of yourself without considering that you might change.
– Always finish what you have begun.
– Whatever you are doing, do it as well as possible.
– Do not become attached to anything that can destroy you in the course of time.
– Develop your generosity – but secretly.
– Do not have your photograph taken with famous people.
– Treat everyone as if he or she was a close relative.
– Organize what you have disorganized.
– Learn to receive and give thanks for every gift.
– Stop defining yourself.
– Do not lie or steal, for you lie to yourself and steal from yourself.